At the Foundation Stage the early stages of Geography are covered through Understanding of The World (People and communities / The World), working towards the Early Learning Goals. Throughout the year we cover these areas through our 6 themes. Some of the things that we look at are the local neighbourhood, people and places of the world and changes in the seasons. A class trip last summer covered elements of early fieldwork.
From Year 1 Key Learning will cover Locational Knowledge, Place Knowledge, Human and Physical Knowledge and Geographical Skills, such as mapping.
At Key Stage 1 we will study:
- the local area
- knowledge about continents, oceans, UK counties and capitals
- an area in the UK
- a contrasting non- European area
- weather in the UK
- hot and cold areas of the world
- geographical vocabulary
At Key Stage 2 we will study:
- The local area
- Name and locate counties and cities of the UK.
- Name and locate world’s countries, the Equator, the Tropics, Hemispheres, Meridians, Arctic and Antarctic.
- Region of the UK.
- Region of North or South America
- Physical Geography (e.g. climate zone)
Mrs J Seddon
Geography Subject Leader